It may only be March, but it’s already starting to feel a lot like summer here in New York City! 70s and sunny all week – there are certainly no complaints here. I’ve been in the mood for soup but I wanted to keep dinner light given the warm temperatures.
I think we were both surprised at just how filling this meal was. You could easily take out the bacon and substitute vegetable stock to make the meal vegetarian. This soup is full of yummy, good for you vegetables and bright summer flavors.
My fridge now has a ton of leftover onion, leeks, cabbage, and escarole – anyone have any great ideas for how to use them?
White Bean & Greens Soup
- 15 oz cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 lb bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup leeks, sliced
- 2 cups green cabbage, sliced
- 2 cups escarole, chopped
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 6 cups chicken stock (low sodium recommended)
- 3 tsp cooking sherry